Home Ownership Preservation/ Foreclosure

Struggling to Pay Your Mortgage? Facing Foreclosure? Coming off of Deferment? We Are Here To Help!

The Housing Partnership offers free, confidential counseling to residents in Bergan, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Passaic, Sussex, Union, and Warren County. We are a HUD-certified counseling agency who understands the process and can be your liaison/advocate with your mortgage company. Schedule an appointment with one of our counselors who will help you:

  • Determine where you stand with your mortgage delinquency
  • Know your options when it comes to pre-foreclosure and foreclosure
  • Develop and review your household budget and credit
  • Work with you and your loan servicer to discover options that may be available to you
  • Prepare modification packages to try and negotiate better terms for your mortgage
  • Set an action plan for your individual situation

To Schedule an Appointment

Step 1: Complete Intake Package and Send Documents

  1. Download and COMPLETE our intake packet:  English or Spanish to prepare for your appointment – to be submitted via email -due to the COVID19.
  2. Collect and make copies of the documents listed below to be submitted with your intake packet:
    • Hardship Explanation Letter – a letter explaining why you have fallen behind
    • Foreclosure summons and complaint (if applicable)
    • Most recent mortgage billing statements for all mortgages
    • Driver’s license for all homeowners or other valid government-issued photo identification
    • 30 days most recent consecutive paystubs – if receiving Pension, Social Security, Unemployment, or Food Stamps an award letter is needed
    • Proof of any additional income such as rental (must be accompanied by a lease agreement, canceled checks, and deposits on bank statements)
    • Last 2 year’s W2s or 1099s and complete tax returns signed on page 2
    • 60 days most recent complete bank statements with all pages included
    • Most recent copy of utility bill that includes names and address

Additional resources:

Step 2: Schedule Appointment With Our Homeownership Specialists

2. Once your HomeOwnership Specialist receives your completed intake with copies of the requested documentation they will call you to set up your appointment.

On Mobile?

Download the Adobe Acrobat Reader app to fill out the forms.


What can a Home Ownership Specialist help me with?

Your Home Ownership Specialist will help you get your paperwork in order and advise on any potential obstacles to review with your lender. Your Specialist will assist with submitting your documentation to your lender and working on your behalf towards a positive resolution.

Why is all of this documentation required?

The documents requested in the intake packet will help your Home Ownership Specialist get a complete picture of your financial situation so that they can make recommendations to avoid foreclosure. This documentation will also be needed to help with a request for mortgage assistance package required by most lenders..

Why isn’t there a fee for this advocacy service?

Our area is one of the areas of greatest need for foreclosure prevention counseling in the country. The foreclosure prevention program is funded by the federal government and the cost of counseling is already covered by this funding.

When do I need to vacate my home?

You do not need to leave the home until after a Sheriff Sale on the property has taken place, this is the last step in the foreclosure process.